Thursday, July 27, 2017

"Expecting Triplets"

No! No, not me. Thank goodness! Oh my golly. (breathe... breathe...)

It's the title I gave this recent piece on eco-dyed paper.
"Expecting Triplets" (c)2017 Margaret Bremner
Tangles: Buttercup, Crescent Moon, Finery, Floo, Morse, Pearlz, Printemps, Sindoo
The tree is a single leaf, which printed lightly but nicely except for a roundish blob in the middle of it. It took longer than I would like to admit to think of a nest.

The most interesting part for me, though, is the ground. In browns, I drew Sindoo on the left and Buttercup on the right and it was too light and they were different-sized grids and I just didn't like it. To darken it I drew Printemps in black all over both sides. It was an improvement for sure, but still didn't really tie in with the rest of everything. I took an 'oriental brush fountain pen' (I don't know what else to call it) and drew wavy lines across both grounds. Three layers of patterns! Finally it all came together.

13 comments:

  1. I took a class where we looked at a variety of natural objects with tiny microscopes. My favorite of all objects was a sea grape leaf. I was mesmerized by the seemingly endless beautiful veins I could see as I held the leaf up to the light and looked through the tiny microscope. Though this was a few years ago, the image is imprinted on my mind. You have captured that leaf so beautifully here. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! I don't know what the name of this leaf's tree is, but I loved the oval shape. It's from Bermuda.

      Delete
  2. I love this new piece, Margaret! And your addition of a tiny nest is wonderful and so fitting. :) Thanks for telling the story of the ground. It reminds me of Sharla Hicks' saying "Don't stop at ugly"! :D The Zentangle Method is so conducive to asking "Now what ...?" and just waiting to see what comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Jan! And I love Sharla's comment. :)

      Delete
    2. Margaret, what you create always fascinates me! Love this tile!

      Delete
    3. For a minute there, I thought you were going to say you were going to be a grandmother to triplets! Lol.

      Delete
  3. So beautiful! And I loved hearing how you ended up with that awesome "ground cover". Layering of tangles .... who would have thought! 💖💖💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I did a post a while ago called "Overlaid tangles". I don't do it often but it can be really useful and interesting.

      Delete
  4. Wow! This is Fab! I love how you resolved the ground and the triplet pod is delightful;-) What's the size of this piece?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been off to the side, distracted away from my own art by the things life has thrown my way for quite a few months now, and I haven't had a chance to look at your site until now. As always I am just delighted and blown away by what you do, and have had a wonderful time getting caught up on what you've been up to. I am so glad to have the opportunity to do so (yahhhh internet). You do inspire me to keep working on the development of my own art. So thank you for being you and doing what you love doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I hope life stops throwing awkward things at you soon. I once had a rather intense job and kept some small papers and a pen at my bedside, so that at least at bedtime I would do a little drawing. Eventually I stopped doing even that. Eventually I quit my job!

      Delete